Orange County Chopper Father and Son in Bitter Lawsuit

American Chopper - Orange County Chopper Lawsuit

Paul Teutul Sr. and Paul M. Teutul jr.

I am sure that many of you in the motorcycle world have watched the TV show American Chopper. American Chopper is a reality TV show about the company Orange County Choppers. Its stars are the infamous Teutul family; Paul Teutul Sr., his son Paul Jr., and of course Mikey.

Paul Teutul Sr. and Paul M. Teutul had a very public falling out, which was chronicled on American Chopper. In the Season 6 premiere, Paul Sr. and son had a contentious contract dispute, which led to Paul Jr.’s departure from the company. After a brief reconciliation, Paul Jr. left the OCC for good to explore other opportunities. In later episodes, Paul Jr. was seen working as a consultant at Orange County Choppers.

It has been reported that Paul Sr. sent a letter to Paul Jr. exercising an alleged right to purchase Paul Jr.’s share of the stock he owns in Orange County Choppers since Paul Jr. no longer works there.

Paul Teutul, Sr. claims he had a deal with his son, Paul M. Teutul, in which he could buy his son’s stock from the Orange County Choppers Holdings, Inc. motorcycle company.

The father, who appears on the television show alongside his son, sent Teutul, Jr. a letter saying he would be exercising his right to buy the stock.

Paul Sr. apparently has filed the lawsuit to the Supreme Court of New York; however I have not seen a copy of the lawsuit heretofore. He also filed a suit against Orange County Choppers, Inc.

In the lawsuit, he claimed damages in excess of $1 million and is asking for an order from the judge to force his son to give him the stock.

My take on the situation is this; yes I have watched the show for years. It is better than watching some of the other crap on TV I will tell you that.

I have been a businessman since I was in my 20’s, when I first got venture capital to start Daylight Data Corporation in Los Angeles, and am now running a successful California law firm.

Being successful at business requires management expertise, capital, and luck. It appears to me that Paul Teutul Sr. has been a very successful businessman. He started out installing railings; he worked hard and built his business into a metal manufacturing company, and then started Orange County Choppers. He then used the TV show American Choppers as a marketing vehicle to build his successful business.

There is no doubt that his son really did help with Orange County Choppers, however, in the end, it is the businessman who keeps a company going.

I learned in law school that you never want to represent friends or family because you will never do well enough in their eyes no matter the outcome in a case.

You would think family run businesses would be the easiest to run because of the trust factor. Let me tell you, it takes a special kind of family to stick together to run a business. Unlike other businesses where you can hire and fire at will, it is kind of hard to fire your son, or your brother, etc.

It is a shame that the Teutul’s family business relationship has apparently broken down. My personal take on the situation is that Paul Jr.’s head grew too big for his britches. He designed motorcycles, he started making money, he got the big house, he got the nice looking girlfriend, he obtained fame, etc. He started screwing off at work. Not coming in on time. He became unreliable to his father. Above all, he disrespected his father on national television.

Look, I know full well Paul Sr. is an asshole sometimes. Hell, he and my father would get along well if they were too meet. Paul Sr. did not ask anything more of his son, than a son should give to his father and a family owned business.

Without Paul Sr.’s capital, management expertise, and experience, Orange County Choppers would be a non entity. Motorcycle designers and fabricators are a dime a dozen. Paul Jr. could be, and has been replaced. I think Orange County Choppers are putting out their best motorcycles now.

I think Paul Sr. wants nothing more than to have his sons with him; as sons, not as monsters.

In my honest opinion, Paul Jr. should go to his father, apologize for being an asshole to his father, make amends, and jump back into the family business. Maybe when his money starts to run out he will.

Life is too short and you only get one father in this world. Paul Jr. and Mickey should jump back on the team for the big win, especially for their family.

Good luck to Orange County Choppers in all of their endeavors.

By California Motorcycle Accident Lawyer and California Biker Attorney Norman Gregory Fernandez, Esq., © 2010

300 Responses to Orange County Chopper Father and Son in Bitter Lawsuit

1. Tony Nash says:

I don’t think a father or son should disrepect each other like they do. Sr. says he does everything at the shop. It’s he holds it together but Jr. is the one that people tune in to see what he’s done next. I just wounder how things were before they had the show. Someone said Jrs. head got to big because of the show but i think it got to both there heads. Iwould never disrepect my dad like that but my dad would never disrepect his son like sr. does either. And now there going to have them competing agaist each other. TLC dosn’t care it’s all about ratings

• Basti says:

Hey, I am shocked, since I just saw the first episode of season 6 and Paul Jr. got fired, I am from Germany and there we also could see the show in the TV, it was always cool to watch the guys fight and stuff, but that it goes so far I have not thinked, I am more or less in the same situation, I work in my father company and my dad can be like Paul Sr. like shout, throw stuff around ( Cell Phones, Tools etc.) but there must always be a way to work together, first he is my dad but he is also my boss, and if we have a fight it’s not in the TV and lucky not in front of the other employees but I know how hard it is to meet the expectations of your dad if you work for him, I wish them all the best and that there might be a chance that they come back together. But as well as others have said, I think the fame is going both a little to their heads, I think that’s a fact.

2. Cathy says:

I agree with that guy Bill earlier, Paul Sr ran his whole family off, said his girlfriends family are his family now, so he’s the one that needs to apologize to all his family. I agree that Paul Jr, slacked alot of the time, later in the shows, but he was the one that helped keep his fathers business going with his designs. I think Sr was totally wrong in kicking Mickey out, he was the one always trying to keep the peace in the family. Sr is a total jackass in my opinion and he needs to step to the plate and show amends since he is the father. It’s sad that things are the way they are now. Paul Sr i think just has a big head and now its down to being against his whole family.

3. David A. Gerger says:

WOW… I agree…Love the show, it is very entertaining, and educating…I think the BIG HEADS need to get over it, if that is what is really causing the probs. They are family, and need to re-realize that, say sorry, cause you never get family from anyone else..May GOD Bless them all, and I hope they get back together where OCC really needs to be… Love YA…..

4. Samuel says:

I think Paul Sr. did the best he could. But At some point need to reconcile with his sons. The poeple that surounds him now are a bunch of yes men. Except one and everyone know who that is. I just think that the show and eventually the co. will lose it popularity with out the core group. p.s. I could’nt help but to feel sorry for mikie when they didn’t take him on that last trip. Notice how everyone was asking for the sons. Get ride of the yes men. Good Luck

5. james says:

i realy love occ,i cant wait for tha new show,i think jr will realy show his father that he has learned everything sr tought him and has surpassed him in building bikes.i just hope this show will bring them back together as a family.

6. keef says:

Well they fell out! it was a long time coming,I watched as i want to see bikes being built not a father and son fight every time it was on air,got fed up with hearing Awesome every five minutes as for the bikes, sorry but thought some of them looked awful and over priced! as for the real talent that went to Vinnie and Rick, without them OCC would be nothing,

7. Steve Davis says:

I have read alot of post here and agree with the fact that, in my opinion Paul Sr. is a big headed ego driven asswipe that loves his fame more than his own sons. Unfortunately, it is over and now starting to get old news. All we as fans of the show can do is watch reruns and maybe a new series (I have heard rumors of something call OCC vs Paul Jr. Designs), Paul JR. has started his own motorcycle building business since the no compete clause has expired, and somekind of new series is supposed to be in the works…now that will be interesting to watch.
    At any rate, I think that in the lawsuit between JR. and Sr. I hope that JR. bends Sr. over and crams it straight up his ass,maybe that would help Sr. to lose a little bit of his ego. Nuf said

8. Beloved says:

To make along story short as a father and son i see no real love here. Only real love is through Jesus Christ and thats bottom line, you can cast your stones and shout all you want but bottom line its the Love of Jesus Christ.

Money is not the root of all evil
    Its the love of money.
    1 Timothy 6:10
    For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

NO JESUS NO PEACE!

9. Gary Crawford says:

I know for a fact that Paul JR. was a big reason for the success of the shop and the show. Yes, Paul SR. started the ship but it was the designs (and the arguing) that made the them successful.

If they would both just admit to how each contributed to the shops success then maybe all would be well. I think JR. just wants his pop to say “nice job son”.

I know that they both have a New York ego but when it comes to family nothing else should matter.

10. JEFF N says:

FORGET ALL THE BULLSHIT, SELL THE COMPANY AND LET RIDE!!

11. Jimmy T says:

I live in the UK and love this show, I thought that Paul Sr and Pauly made the show and when they argued i thought it was just for ratings, I am dissapointed that Farther and son have fell out with one an other and do hope that they resolve the situation soon. You only live once and it dosent matter how much money you have! Family comes first, I wish them all the luck in the world Jimmy NBT.

12. scooter trash says:

Paul jr is clearly the soul of the OCC legacy. While Sr is no doubt a great rail man, and yes probably the $ behind the start of OCC it would have never made the grade it did without Jr.. Jr’s creative side is where the real rubber hit the road, it wasnt Sr’s work ethic, it wasnt a butt load of his money, it wasnt his creative genius.

The shop they started was already in place for the rail business, and if anyone knows a couple lifts was probably all the original investment required as any scooter tramp ( and Sr seems to think he is original sled dog material ( i see another yuppie that may have had a sled as a kid)) worth his weight would have a complete shop available as a daily requirement. The rail business is a metal fab shop which is about all you need when starting out. They were buying frames and motors, and everything else they needed where the key to the success lay is in Paul Jr’s vision and the skills his dad gave him growing up.

Jr has an eye for unique, he can visualize what he wants something to be and then deliver on it. While his dad may have inspired his ability there is no one but Pauly that can take credit for his vision, his desire and his drive. Sure he strikes some as lazy, but you show me an artist or someone who has a position in which creativity is a must and i’ll show you someone who has to take time doing things that inspire the visions, if its staying up late and drinking beer hangin with the bro’s that free’s his mind, then you can bet your ass that id be footin the bill as long as he kept delivering.

Paul Sr and his on time, work-aholic point of view are old school and in the rail business a great thing. In the creative mind it can be and spell the end, and in this case it did.

Pauly showed up late, but when the deadline was there the man would work 3 days straight to accomplish a finished product that is the backbone and soul of OCC and obviously what the public wanted, I think Sr is the one who needs to do a lil ass smoochin and WTFU!

Now all you candy assed paper pushers can tell me im wrong, but im the one with a metal fab shop and 3 sleds in the shop all built by my hand. I know what is and what aint, a lot of ya’ll are lackin back bone and its apparent because all i see above is people on the whine about how their daddy was so mean to them… get the f*&( over it thats what dads do… its the job requirements.

• Gray Ghost Jason says:

Agree, with U. I feel sorry for the Occ guys. All that money and a shitty family situation. Not worth a damn in my mind. Sr. doesn’t seem to understand his sons, he really needs to work on making amends with his family.

13. Look at my other article on the subject. The show was cancelled unexpectedly. However they are supposed to be bringing it back in a different form.

Norm

14. I THINK ONE OF THE BEST SHOW’S ON TV! BUT PAUL SR DOES LOSE HIS TEMPER FOR NO GOOD REASON. I THINK THAT’S WHY HE LOST VINNY AND PAUL JR @ MICKEY. IS THE SHOW GOING TO BE ON IN 2010 ?

15. DAve says:

its a sad moment when father and son have thast sort of disagreement…I love my son–he is my best friend–he would give his life for me and I for him….we have not always seen eye to eye..and Im sure there are times when I disciplined him that he wopuld have liked to kick the crap out of me..but in the long run he finally said to me “Dad..I know why now!”.
    I recently lost everything…retirement money..house..cars…to the eveil enities at medicaid that decided I should pay them for the medical treatment my Grandaughter recieved while she was alive…(she was disabled and I adopted her from “my other son” who is a selfish-evil child beating bastard and was the reason she was disabled….no warning no hello- screw you- or anything I woke up the day after she died to notification that everything had been siezed…If it had not been for My Good son..I would not have a roof over my head or a place to lay my head safe from the elements…
    so I know howit is..my heart goes out to the Tuttels I hope they reconcile and realize that blood is much thicker than water and more lasting than money

16. I have watched the show for many years and have enjoyed it. Family is very important. Unfortunately Paul SR & JR have forgotten this. It doesn’t hurt to sit down with your parents and talk over any disputes that you have,and try to settle any disagreements. Life is too short and as human beings some of us have frailities and large egos. It takes a big person to admit that he or she is wrong.I miss Mikey who bought laughter into the business. I hope Paul SR & JR family the best,and hope they work out their differences. Perhaps they were better off poor then wealthy.

17. ucbruce says:

My wife and I have watched the show from the begining and have really enjoyed it for the most part. Even though Jr. was tardy sometimes he was the artistic force behind the company. I understand Sr. had to run the company, and there are deadlines to be met, you can’t force creativity. Especially when you are creating one-off bikes. Basically I think Sr. is an ass*$&^ and I couldn’t work for him for 5 minutes so I don’t blame Jr., Vinnie or Cody for leaving. Sr. is not a very good bike builder and that is very evident when you see him try and build something from the ground up. He used to push Jr. but on his worst day Jr. was faster than Sr. Sr. had aspirations of building the company into some kind of global powerhouse but they got too big too fast and in this economy, and without Jr., they are screwed. We don’t enjoy the show without Jr. and really don’t watch it anymore.

18. Bill Vanderslice says:

I was a fan of the show since the beginning. However I hated the bickering between Sr & Jr and I often switched channels so I didn’t have to watch it. I realize this is reality TV and producers went out of their way to capture the fights as it must sell same as crashes do at Nascar races. I feel Jr was big headed jerk that felt as long as job got done he could come and go as he pleased. Wrong when you work for somebody else, you follow the rules as other employees must do. Yes Sr gets credit for starting the company but his management skills could be done better by some 2nd graders. Without TV show this company will go up in flames. It is only a matter of time in this economy. I really hate to see this happen but I don’t feel they can turn around the facts to save the company.

19. Cassie Tate says:

I just started watching the OCC. I had no idea what I was in for.The master craftmenship to the drama! Wow…it is intense. In my opinion I think they all have a talent. Combined they are a power source. Alone…not soooo much! Overall, I love the show and will turn on my TV today as I do everyday to catch up on the series to get ready for the new one!
    (or if for anything to support Vinnie…haha!)

20. Jeff D says:

I have watched this show for its entire run and still watch the reruns to this day. I just dont understand why Paul SR need to be such a jackass. Those guys both do have egos but SR thinks the world revolves around him and that no one else knows what they are doing. Every time he would go off on Paul and then get involved in building the bike he would screw it up. I am sure he had his glory days but it is time to pass the reigns over to his sons and let them keep the legacy going.. It would be one thing if it was just JR that had left but look at the past. Vinnie left who was about as good as they get. Rick has now left them as well so if you had any sort of common sense at all wouldn’t you say to yourself that ” hey wait a minute here maybe I do have a problem” ? They all have so much to be thankful for and more money than they know what to do with but he has ostracized everyone in his immediate family. Three sons and a daughter that hate your guts. Is that really how you want to go to the grave knowing this. Hope they get things straighten out because his health and the rage he has he could go at anytime..

• Mike M says:

Just like Jeff D, I have watched the show since it’s inception and still to this day watch the reruns. I have to say that I know that Jr disrespected his father by loafing and not being on time and the like but Sr was and still is the problem. To me, OCC is still being successful at putting out choppers and they are very nice but they aren’t nearly as creative and don’t have as much going on as they were when Jr was working there. I can’t understand how it seems to be nearly impossible for Sr to give anyone other than himself credit for the success of the company. Several people in this blog have contended that they feel like the Jr and Mikey should eat crow and apologize because they’ll only have one father the that street goes two ways and I believe it’s more Sr’s doing then it is the boys. I do agree that Sr has some business savy and deserves a lot of credit because of his gamble to start OCC and also to run the business successfully but Jr is the true creative genius behind the “theme” bikes because the only thing that Sr did during those builds was to scream and disrupt and threaten to stick his “size 12′s” up someone’s back side. In true OCC style, you don’t have to agree with me but you’d be wrong if you don’t!!!!

21. Fact says:

I have still one question that I don’t have a real answer. Why Paul Sr. does no longer have relationship with all his sons. Mickey was no bad. He was part of the show not very useful I have to admit but part of the show. Why his relationship with his father stopped as well. Mickey and Paul Jr. are still together. Paul Sr. third son has no longer relationship with Paul Sr. as well but he has nice contact with his 2 other brothers.

Don’t you think Paul Sr that pushed away his 3 sons may be the cause of the problem. How someone can be right and pushed away not one but 3 of his sons.

My $.02

22. steve cave says:

fantastic show fantastic bikes.what a shame its come to this

steve
    united kingdom

23. HI L.B.M.some good points by FACT aug 2.2010.why did he have a bad relationship with is sons.i wonder if he knows. he did not have respect for any one. you have to earn respect but snr does not see it that way.he is to full of him self.as you say mickey is a good guy and the first to say bikes are not his thing.he was not that great with vinnie and he is a great bike builder.paul snr likes money better than people.that is just the way i see it.so from me l.b.m.stay safe on your wheels FACT.aug.3.2010.manchester england.

24. Arthur Martinez says:

I agree completely. Business is business and I am the President of Superior Insurance. The top sales person of a company aka. top earner for the company is rarely the CEO. I think Sr was right and has to live with the outcome. He will do just fine. Everybody is replacible. Paul Jr. is going to finally be what he always wanted, his own boss. It takes more the being an extremly skilled craftman to succeed in business but because of the fame and exposure he gain from his time in his fathers company, he should go far. I do beleive in 5 years he will respect his father a lot more

25. todd says:

I think that they need to suck up there feelings and make peace with eachother life is to short to act this way how would either one of them feel if one of them died then what? how are you going to feel then its a real shame you can pick your friends but not your family at the end of the day family is all you got and money means nothing if money means more to you then family you dont deserve anybody you deserve to be misrable,lonely,and unhappy if i ever talked to my dad the way paul jr. talks to his dad i wouldnt have any teeth my dad would knock me into next week thats the truth a little argueing never hurt anyone it should make you have a stronger bond with your family im 22 years old maybe i dont know what im talking about but thats how i feel. thankyou

26. "H" says:

This is the type of relationship that I have seen personally. I have worked for someone who ran off every employee they’ve ever had, FIRED, FORCED RESIGNATIONS, the whole nine yards. These “employers” have of course put a lot of money into their businesses, but, they have forgotten that they did not build the entire “empire” on their own. These owners hire people that they know can build their business and make them money, once they have bled that person and taken enough of their ideas and creations… They ditch them. they have provided a place,and stood on he shoulders of OTHERS to get them to the next level. Nine times out of ten, the money slows down, and the employer, (father), tries to reel the family, or TALENT, back in to rebuild his bank account. Only to do it all over again down the road. A truly self-centered individual…

27. Doug Newton says:

I dont know what occ youve been watching but in my opinion paul SR. is the bigest drama queen ive ever seen. He gets bent out of shape over the most trivial things and without paul Junior occ is going to colapse.

28. ron says:

Paul sr. your a dick! I have been divorced twice and my three daughters are my world.I watch your show every day,and the only reason is because of your kid’s!Wake the f— up and turn it around!It is not to late.You might have twenty years left in life, enjoy the fortune you have made with your kid’s,who made you what you are today.Good luck maybe we will one day meet and i will shake your hand for making the right decision!Pull your head out of your a–!

• russell says:

Without Paul Sr. there would not be orange county choppers he,s a ass hole some times but look how he even treats is employees taking them some wear paying the bill b.b.q etc etc Paul junior,s head is too big he needs to grow up and go back to work and WHEN his DAD is being a asshole he should have respect to his father and shut up !! and then every one can go back doing what they do best/ building bikes and entertaining us !!

29. Russ says:

Hard to believe Paul Sr. ruined a great Company.

The truth to the matter is Sr. is Jealous of Jr’s Building talent and Jr. was the Star of the Show.

Jr. has serious talent and built all those special Bikes that made the Millions for the Company.

Jr. deserves to arrive to work whenever he wants because he is the Star, master bike builder and most important his Son.

The way Sr. “Rides” the workers, “Is it done yet”?
    “Is that all you got done”? who would want to work for a Boss like that?

Paul Jr.’s time is worth at least 4.00 a minute or 240.00 an hour as a master bike builder.

If Rick is making less than 60.00 an hour he is under-paid. Rick is a master now and deserves a good wage. A buck a minute is fair for a guy building Bikes with a 12.00 a minute profit margin.

Sr. is a poor father and he would not have that business today if it was not for Jr. & even Mikey.

Mikey may not be a master builder, but he is always there to do what needed to be done.

I watched an episode today where Sr. was yelling at Jr. for using his Grinder. Who Cares? It’s his son and he is building a bike for the same company?

All my tools are available for any family member, no problem. If they break, no problem, I can buy another.

If Sr. was smart he would stay home and let Jr. make the Company into a Giant.

The problem is Sr.’s ego is so big, even bigger than his head.

Who cares if Jr. comes in late, he worked many a late night finishing jobs. Jr. is the real Star and master builder.

Vinny was very smart to leave the Company, now he can build 2-3 Bikes a quarter and make 10 times the money he got from OCC. I bet Vinny got a measly 14.00 and hour or so.

30. Everyone just an F.Y.I., the new American Chopper, Sr. vs. Jr. is supposed to air this week.

You got to admit, this whole thing could have been a set up, but either way, both of these guys are businessmen. They got a whole new show that will probably be more popular than their last show.

In the end, they will probably both be making more than any of us!

Norm

31. paul moscato says:

I do not know what program you were watching,but the program I watched was a father who treated everybody incuding his two sons like shit.He is so jealous of his sons ability,he cannot stand it.Good old dad should crawl to his sons and beg for forgiveness.I never saw or heard of a so called dad that treated his family as bad as he has.If you watched the new show,he tried to put his son down as much as he could,with the people that work for him.I never once heard jr say one bad word about his so called dad.I think you might have something to do with OCC.or you would not be taking up for that so called dad.

32. Big Lou says:

I used to like the show but got tired of all the fighting and bickering. I think the producers of the show instigated some of it. However, if you look back at the history of Paul Sr., you’ll realize that he’s never been a family man. Early on, he sold his metal fabricating business to his third son. There ended up being lawsuits involved and the third son (Dan?) and Paul Sr. didn’t talk to each other for years. After watching the first episode tonight of the new season, and seeing how Paul Sr. bad-mouthed and made fun of both Paul Jr and Mikey, I hope OCC goes bust. The only one left there with any talent is Rick. Also, I just don’t think Paul Jr has the business acumen or work ethic to make it on his own. I think we may be seeing the last season of OCC.

33. Mick Mill;er says:

Written in the script for the series or actual family
    business publicized, Paul Sr. made it all happen. Period. Ungrateful, spoiled and egotistical sons say Paul Sr. is a far better businessman than a mentor to his kids. So what. He has the only track record of success in the whole mix.

Show some friggin’ acknowledgment to your Dad you two
    friggin’ honyocks. Both these sons could use a good old fashioned job hunt.

34. [...] get one thing straight, these guys are major TV stars with a huge following. The most viewed article on the Biker Law Blog was one of my articles about American Chopper. The article has had almost 250k unique hits and 133 [...]

35. Steve says:

If Junior doesn’t have the work ethic or business skills that’s his problem not Senior’s.
    All Senior has to do is buy Junior out of his 20% interest in OCC and let his son go, but Senior is trying to manipulate his way out of it.WHY?? Because Senior does not want the competition that close to him.
    If Junior doesn’t have the work ethic or business sense what does Senior have to worry about?

36. Gerald C Theriault says:

Been there and done that, designer, chief engineer, plant manager, and had my own manufacturing shops, with in house engineers, salespeople, and high skilled labor.
    Paul Sr. made what I would think is a fairly easy slide into the custom bike world from his fabricating business. He had background, building, facilities, equipment, and material connections. He started out small as a sideline business, with the major business as his means of support. A nice way to get started.
    Granted he may have entrepreneur skills, and some design skills, but this only goes so far. He lacks really good management skills. and most of all the artful design skills that Paul Jr. obviously has acquired, coupled with his fabricating skills. To have the vision to come up with designs like Paul Jr. is a gift that he has perfected. Paul Sr. lacks this real quality. Paul Sr. appears to realize this and many times seems to antagonize Paul Jr. just to attempt to make himself look important, only to come away looking the fool.
    Now that Paul Sr. has the design computer he feels he is able to equal Paul Jr’s skill, which may come back as a bite in the old mans ass. With his head all swelled and his new computer he is even more disrespectful of Paul Jr’s inherent skills.
    Paul Sr. lacks really good management skills when it comes to employees. Which he exhibits daily by exhorting an employee in front of his whole shop personnel. Playing Mr. Macho man is not a good management skill, especially when coupled with threats. He should leave this kind of mentality for the members of biker gangs, it has no place when one wants to create a good work environment.
    I don’t agree with Norman Fernandez statement that designers are dime a dozen, lawyers are two dimes a dozen. Good designers, like GOOD lawyers are not dime a dozen, this statement has no place in this discussion in my opinion.
    A lot has been said about Paul Jr’s disrespect for his father, however respect should be shown to a son also, it is a two way street. When you consider all the petty criticism, and public tongue lashing Paul Jr. has endured over the years from his father, I don’t blame Paul Jr. for bailing out. Paul Sr. should stay in his office and let the kids talent flow, instead he comes into the shop and creates a commotion that alienates him with all employees.
    He is perfect example of a small time operator making it big, and forgetting the people who helped him get there. He can’t seem to get enough of himself. On the other hand Paul Jr. is reasonably low key and smart, who takes his successes in stride, getting his high from his accomplishments.
    I am seventy five years old, seen a lot, started in the shop as an apprentice engineer. Went to night school at General Motors Institute of Technology, Wayne University, and Dale Carnegie Institute. In nine years I became Chief Engineer, went in business for myself, and was incorporated a total of five times.
    Experience is hard to beat.
    Gerald C Theriault

37. AlyCat says:

I agree wholeleheartedly! The basic rule of family relations, in my opinion, comes from the Bible and it in essence says Honor Your Father and Mother….Paul Jr. would do well to take heed. A business you can replace, family, in particular a father can’t be replaced.

38. Steve says:

I feel really sad for Paul Sr.. Most fathers would take great pride in a son as talented as Jr., but he is just too much of a jealous immature jerk to give Paulie or Mikey any credit for anything. Naturally they react negatively like his other son did. One of these days he will drop over dead and all the money and fame will count for nothing in the grand scheme of things. If I was getting a custom bike I would far prefer Paulie and Vinnie to design and build it over OCC. Without Paulie’s early signature bikes Paul Sr. would still be bending pipe for a living.

39. BeerTownHound says:

Paul Jr. would not be any one if not for his dad and the TV show. Paul Jr. could of done nothing on his own with out his dad. The banks would not lend Paul Jr. the money to start up a Kool Aid stand if he didn’t get his dad to co-sign the loan. There fore Paul Sr. is OCC not Paul Jr. This show has highlighted lots of unknown bike designers out there that until American Choppers no one had heard of. Does any one think that there are not still a few more out there that have Paul Jr’s ability that have not been dicovered yet? Paul Sr. is a business man and knows what his business will need to keep running. If he has to he will find the right person with the talent to take Paul Jr’s place designing bikes. Designers are a dime a dozen.

40. Jimco says:

These guys have had a good run, In my view they met a great opportunity together and shared some awesome success. They even traveled the globe together and looked like a family.
    It is time for an ending. It is time for an ending because greed had taken the front seat, power has become more important than freedom. As I have watched these grown men act like little kids, I can only say that it was VERY fun to watch, when it was fun to watch.
    To see a father not in attendance to his son’s wedding, for whatever reason, appears to only send one clear message. This ain’t no game, someone is serious, and with that, It is clear.
    Jr. Comes out saying he still loves his dad,even if his dad does not view his wedding as one of the most cherished days of his life.
    Even if they shake hands,hug, and swear to forget it, This will not pass.

Money is now King.

Greed will Keep JR. going until he has SR’s car collection parked in his garage, SR will lie to congress (if needed) to prove a 20 million dollar building with employees, a brand, Tools, and product “is/are worthless”.

It was over when money became King.

I will be surprised if this bunch can convince the TV producers they “can” fill an hour for another complete season… I don’t see this as fun anymore, In fact I fear for someone could get hurt or locked up, before they convince themselves that they are really done.

41. Melanie says:

I think this article must have been written by paul Sr himself. It’s pretty pathetic. I hope Jr makes Sr pay pay pay.

42. Kerry Sales says:

Paul Sr. obviously has some anger management issues. No one tunes into the show to see Paul Sr. or what his next tantrum is going to be about. Paul Sr. obviously has an over inflated ego and lousy parenting skills. I hope Paul Jr. wins.

43. Micah says:

I guess I should say something about Paul Sr & Jr. When I first heard about their quarrel I thought it was a publicity stunt and didn’t really pay attention to it. Seeing that there is actually legal action being taken, I think it’s a shame. I hope they reconcile for real, despite cameras and crap. Good luck guys.

–Small Town Country Boy, no real formal education.

44. Ihave watched this show for ages & waited for this to happen,I have two sons the youngest is like Mikey & the eldest took over my business and has made something of it but one thing we have is respect for each other & for each others opinions.The most hurtful part of that programme is the fact that its fly on the wall tele & one minute they are at each others throat & then playing with each other & appearing as guests on TV talk shows all smiles,is this all contrived? not only is it on Quest but its back on discovery so I suggest they sit and watch alln the early shows that made them popular with family audiences,they seemed to more of a family then.What messages are they sending out to their young fans & special needs children that they so generously supported,Snr think of the torment you must be causing your mother!

45. SUE says:

I THINK PAUL jr. IS AN ASSHOLE HE THE ONE WITH THE BIG HEAD HE IS LAZY AND UGLY WHEN YOU SEE HIM ON TV TAKE A GOOD LOOK HE HAS A NOSE LIKE A PIG PAUL jr YOU ARE JUST A PEICE OF SHIT

• russell says:

i think a lot of you people out there have lost the plot the best COMMENT is the start of this blog work it out fellas what came first chicken or the egg ?

46. Sandie {Member} says:

I love the USA!! We can turn channel if we don’t want to watch something or turn it off. Why would anyone watch a show they do not care for??
    Paul Sr. and Jr. will make a fortune whatever is going on. They have both become very smart businessmen. They know to make the cash while the getting is good.

47. Danny Morgan says:

The article was great, but Paul Sr. has had a falling out with his oldest son Danny and now has had a falling out with his other 2 sons. That tells me one thing, that the problem lies with Paul Sr. If he has a problem with one son that is one thing, but when he has a problem all three of his boys, the problem lies with SR.

48. Cronic says:

Isn’t it a shame that a father will sabotage his son’s success. I’m not defending Jr, he has his own issues, but I seriously dislike Sr as a father/person. How can a father even think of hurting his own blood? Sr admits to missing out on his kids childhood due to drugs and alcohol. And he’s pissed at the way they turned out? Does sr feel he gad nothing to do with that? Wether Sr believes it or not, his sons helped him build OCC. They should all get over themselves.

49. Rodger says:

I actually quit watching the show about halfway through season 4 because I got sick of watching the way SR and JR were constantly disrespecting each other. I don’t know how much of the constant bickering was just made for TV but it got to be way too much.SR built a very successful business before the TV show. I’m sure he will continue to do well. I agree with many of the other people who have commented that they should both swallow their pride and apologize to each other. Life is way too short for this type of family squabble. I lost my father over 20 years ago and miss him dearly. We did a little work together and had a lot of fun. I don’t know whether we could have worked together but I was always very proud of what he was capable of and I know he was proud of my achievements. Watching the new show the one thing I do enjoy is the lack of screaming and yelling. It is interesting to watch the skill and art that these people put into a motorcycle. I think we needed more of that on the old show and a lot less of the family feuding. I think TV and the money and fame that came with it split up this family.

50. Dewey Hinds says:

I have four sons so I have some idea about the subject. Paul Sr., in my opinion, is lacking as a father by the way he has treated those boys. No question Jr started slacking a bit in the end but how could anyone take the verbal abuse the old man gave Jr for so long. Paul Sr is full of himself. He even tries to undermine his son’s new business. What kind man would try and hurt his own child? Would it not be better to say, we don’t get along in business son so you go your way and I mine and I wish you all the luck in the world. Rather, Paul Sr tries to hurt his sons new business, continues to be verbal abusive in a public forum about him. No, Sr built a business and has done well with help of Jr along however, there is no justification to trash one of your children as he does. Very poor example of a good father. Paul Sr is a perfect example of narcissism.